Ahhhh, Thanksgiving… a break from school, quality time with the fam, catching up with high school pals… bliss!
But we know the real reason you’re excited to go home for Thanksgiving break.
It’s the same reason we’re excited.
The food. The glorious Thanksgiving food.
That mouth-watering, rib-sticking, reason-you-wore-sweatpants-to-the-dinner-table, straight from grandma’s recipe book, “OMG that’s soooooooo gooooooood” home-cooked awesomeness you fantasize about every night in your room, while another cheap “dinner” rotates solemnly in the microwave… tonight a Cup-A-Noodle, or maybe a Hot Pocket, or a bag of popcorn (no judgment).
Whatever it is, it tastes like cardboard and disappointment compared to the Thanksgiving table-scape of your dreams, brimming with all those favorite festive dishes– glistening casseroles, baskets upon baskets of flaky, buttery biscuits, heaps of savory stuffing, colossal mountains of mashed potatoes, a pristine pumpkin pie worthy of a Vogue photo shoot, all piping hot, right out of the oven…
Sorry. Had to wipe the drool off the keyboard.
So, yeah. Thanksgiving food. Pretty much the best food ever.
And seeing as Thanksgiving is just around the corner, we could think of no better way to… whet our… appetites… than by collectively drooling fawning over our absolute favorite Thanksgiving foods.
We tapped into the power of our BookRenter Facebook community to get some sweet inspiration with a poll that covered the basics—as well as a wild card “fill in the blank with your fav” option.
Together, the results create the ultimate list of gut-busting guilty pleasures you can chew on this until Thursday afternoon.
Loosen your belt buckle. Here we go.
The Results (Presented in Pumpkin Pie-Chart form)
- Pumpkin Pie. This darling of the Thanksgiving table swept the poll with an impressive 14% stake of our stomachs hearts.
- Stuffing. Naturally, a food that totally makes good on its namesake came in second with 13% of votes.
- Turkey. Arguably the centerpiece of many a Thanksgiving food scene, this bird took third with 10%.
- Mashed potatoes. In all their starchy glory! These taters came in fourth with 7%.
- Veggies. Often the unsung hero at the Thanksgiving table (no, potatoes don’t count as “vegetable…) claimed 6% of votes!
- Biscuits. We were sort of surprised to learn that these billowy puffs of splendor only pulled at the heartstrings taste buds of 1% of voters!
Not surprisingly, however, that wild card “other” option stole 50% of the show! Obviously, our Facebook friends have delightfully imaginative stomachs.
- It’s all gravy, baby! Well, it was for 8% of our voters. Whether it’s smothered on side dishes, in its own little bowl to drink like soup or in an IV drip attached to our veins, we loves gravy.
- Crazy for cranberries! In sauce or slice form, this vibrant, tangy, refreshing addition to the Thanksgiving food family is beloved by at least 7% of voters.
- All together now! 6% of voters refused to make up their mind and claimed all Thanksgiving foods to be their favorite. And we absolutely love them for that.
- Candied Yams. These guys nabbed a sweet 4% of votes.
- Pies, in all their generic and fabulous form. They cut a 4% slice of votes.
- Sweet potatoes au natural! Orange cousin to the regular ole’ tater nabbed up 4% while sweet potatoes with marshmallows got 3%.
- Green bean casserole. (I’ve had green bean casserole… it in no way belongs with the “veggies” group.) This dish ate up 3%.
- Ham. (HAM? I thought it was Turkey Day!) Ham earned a 3% cut.
And last but not least, our 1% stakeholders:
- Bananas and Jello
- Chitterlings (pig intestines!)
- Pancit (a Filipino noodle dish)
- Strawberry Parfait
- Sweet Meatballs
- Egg Nog
There you have it, folks! The top Thanksgiving food items that made the book – the ones that make you, me, and that guy over there drool uncontrollably—whether we’re sitting in our room daydreaming about them, or piling them high on our plate, ready to chow down in t-minus 3, 2, 1…
Still hungry for more Thanksgiving food fun? Check out these other awesome posts to satisfy your craving…
- 11 Impressive Thanksgiving Cupcakes | MentalFloss.com
- The Food Lab Answers Thanksgiving Questions: On Sides and Desserts | SeriousEats.com
- 14 Great Examples of Thanksgiving Food Art | Neatorama.com
- The Best and Worst Thanksgiving Food | Cracked.com
- My All-Pie Thanksgiving Fantasy | SeriousEats.com