It’s that time of year again — back to school! Time to get all of your new school supplies for this semester’s classes! Only problem: school supplies are EXPENSIVE, especially at the beginning of the academic calendar! Luckily, I’ve compiled a list of 10 Ways to get Free School Supplies!
- Shop at home — the number one way to get free school supplies is to go through the mess at home. Either do this yourself, or
ive your parents a call to see if they can mail you any old binders, notebooks, pencils/pens, etc. Lord knows we did NOT use all of the things we bought in high school!
- Grab ad-pens — lots of on-campus organizations hand out free pens/pencils at the start of the year to advertise. Doctors offices and banks do this as well. Don’t forget to say thank you!
- Continue where you left off — if you have a notebook from last semester that’s only been 1/4 filled in, don’t buy a new one! Pick up where you left off and chances are you STILL won’t finish with it.
- Recycle printed assignments — all of those one-sided essay prints can be reused for future printed assignments. Most teachers will be fine with recycling printer paper as long as you cross off the old assignment and make it clear which side you’re turning in.
- Go to Welcome Week… even if you’re not a freshman — as long as you can sneak in (which is usually pretty easy), Welcome Week activities are PACKED with free stuff, a lot of which includes school supplies!
- Ask office friends — if you’ve befriended someone who either has an office job or works in an office supplies store, it’s best to get on their good side because once the school year rolls around they could get you some great discounts!
- Go to local fairs / conventions — the end-of-summer season is popular for things like Minnesota’s State Fair (where I’ll be headed this weekend!), at which lots of local organizations will be handing out free pens, pencils, and other knick-knacks!
- Use coupon books — Universities pass these out at the start of every year and most students toss theirs in the trash — don’t! Chances are there are some pretty good deals on school supplies, and much more!
- Take advantage of BookRenters’ free inserts — BookRenter often includes free inserts of school supplies with textbook orders!
- Check Facebook — there are plenty of university Facebook groups dedicated to moving sales. Sometimes kids will give away things they just want to get rid of, and a lot of the time they will give away free school supplies!