Filed under: Company Updates
- BookRenter Team
By BookRenter Andy
In case you’ve been missing out on our extensive coverage here on Tiki’s Bookshelf, RAK week is taking hold around the country. Check out this student organization at Michigan (aptly named DoRAK). All they do is random nice stuff! It’s amazing how many websites and organizations out there are completely dedicated to doing RAKs. Here’s another good one.
It’s Friday morning here at BookRenter HQ and you can feel the long weekend’s excitement electrifying the BookRenter office air. Just ‘cuz you don’t have school or work tomorrow doesn’t mean that RAK week is over, so don’t go shirking on your RAK duties. RAK week adheres to the normal calendar week and goes through Saturday night – you’re not out of the oven yet.
Sprinkles Cupcakes for RAK
In our office, RAK of the week award goes to BookRenter Rebecca for bringing in a giant batch of delicious Sprinkles Cupcakes. Negative RAK of the week award goes to BookRenter Andy for forgetting to get Rebecca’s lunch. [ed: No negative RAK points were given this week.]
Please tell us about your own RAK’s by posting them in the comments below! We’ll feature the best one on Monday in the blog, and give you a special treat to boot!
Filed under: College Life, Company Updates
- BookRenter Team
By BookRenter Briana
Clothing for Donation
That’s right, I’m doing my share of random acts of kindness. Not only did I refrain from flipping off the girl who cut me off this morning when it was pouring rain [ed: Sorry BookRenter Briana, we’re not counting that], but I also spent last night going through my closet to collect clothes for donation. I figure if you haven’t worn something in an entire year, get rid of it and give it to people who actually need it!
According to Every Monday Matters, 20 billion pounds of clothing a year are wasted and thrown away. Hello, that’s 68 pounds per person (a large child’s worth of clothing).
Seriously, it’s not that hard to take your old clothes to your local Salvation Army or church, and it’s a great RAK! There’s a ton of organizations that will gladly take your unwanted clothes. I give my closet a good cleaning every year and do it.
What RAK’s have you done?
Filed under: College Life
- BookRenter Team
By BookRenter Nicole
Random Acts of Kindness
Everyone knows how easy it is to get wrapped up in your own life, right? We slip in to bad habits and forget that we are all part of a larger community. For this very reason The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation was created. Random Acts of Kindness Week is upon us and I’d like to give you some ideas of how you can join in the movement for a more kind-hearted community.
Here are some suggestions:
- Send a hand-made card letting a special someone know how much you appreciate him or her.
- The next time you go to your favorite coffee shop, get one of your pals a drink too. When they ask, “Oh, what’s this for?” tell them, “Just because you’re you. Thanks for everything.”
- Volunteer! Whether it’s donating a coat or helping out at the animal shelter, volunteering is a great way to spread kindness while helping in your community.
- Hold the door for someone when exiting or entering a building. It’s so simple and can be easily overlooked as we rush around our daily lives.
- Leave some notes of inspiration somewhere for a stranger to read. Apparently, “Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty” was found written on a placemat in a restaurant, and the phrase was thereby coined! You could probably make someone smile by leaving a note at the coffee shop that says, “Smile, you’re a great person!”
Now step up to the plate and do a random act of kindness for every day of the week. And why not next week too, or all the time! Feel great about doing something good for someone else. Rack up the good karma points!
We would love to hear how you made someone smile with your random act of kindness.
For more information and ideas, check out randomactsofkindness.org.
Comment on our blog and be entered in to win one of our weekly coffee giveaways. Each winner will receive a $10 gift card, to Starbucks. Winners will be chosen at random and announced each Wednesday.