As a college student, a lot of our nights are spent staying up late studying, finishing a paper, going out to the bars, or trying to find some time to ourselves to finally relax. It is quite rare for any student to go to bed early and sleep in to a sufficient time. A lot of students (even after staying up late the night before) wake up early to do last minute studying, early morning work-outs, or go to class. Between going to bed late and waking up early, the quality of our sleep is significantly declining.
College students are supposed to sleep on average between 7-9 hours per night. However, the real average comes to less than 6.9 hours per night. Sleep is a time to put our body and mind to rest. The typical university life requires sleep time for the body to refuel and for the brain to refresh and improve learning and memory, yet sleep time keeps decreasing.
Sleep deprivation has a major impact on your body, mind, and studies.
- Decreased Immunity
- Mood Swings / Bad Mood
- Decreased Flexibility and Strength
- Weight Gain
- Impaired Attention Span
- Memory Deficiency
- Poor Academic Performance
Get yourself into a better sleeping habit to avoid sleep deprivation. Here are some tips:
- Bed Time Ritual – Do certain tasks right before sleep to let the body know it’s time to wind down and prepare for bed (ex. Brush your teeth, wash your face, relax). Also, go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning.
- Relax – Calm anxiety and daily stress away by making time for yourself. Include this in with your ritual (ex. Read a book, listen to relaxing music, take a bath).
- Light Snack – Eat something small (ex. Yogurt, Granola Bar, Mixed Nuts).
- Avoid Naps – This will prohibit you from sleeping later and ruin your routine!
- No Stress Zone – The bed is not a place for thinking, worrying, or making to-do lists. Try to get this all out BEFORE you hop into bed.
Our whole day depends on proper sleep, so it is time to stop neglecting an important part of our daily schedule! Sleep right – sleep tight!