Last month marked the official start of summer 2012! That means a whole lot of fun in the sun and chillaxing with your friends. You might wonder what things you can do that are fun and exciting, yet cheap.
Food, friends & fun
Well for starters, everybody loves to eat, so why not get a group of friends and host a potluck or a picnic at a popular spot in town? Here are a few pointers on how to stay under a reasonable budget.
- Buy what’s on sale! Food goes on sale all the time and is usually the first thing you’ll see when you walk in the store.
- Value brands are pretty great. If you see something that looks great but is a little pricey, look for a generic brand. Odds are they taste exactly the same!
- Need your condiments? Save your ketchup, mustard, mayo, & hot sauce packets from every time you go out to eat. It’ll probably save a lot of time when large crowds of people are trying to use the same bottle of ketchup.
- Most importantly, divvy up who brings what. The more people that participate, the more options, and the easier it’ll be to have a great time!
Now that you have a lot of free time, you probably want to catch up on all the movies you missed out on during the semester while you were studying (of course you were studying, right?). Luckily for you, those awesome movies you missed out on at the time are probably in Redbox or at the dollar theatre! Since you worked hard for a good four months, get a group of friends and make it a weekly thing to hit up your local dollar theatre, or stay in and rent a movie from your nearest redbox! Here are a few ways to find out where to check out cool movies:
- Got a smart phone? Download the Fandango and/or Redbox app to search local theatres near you and to see what movies are available to rent.
- Always on your laptop? Have a movie night with a group of friends and hook up your laptop to a TV and stay up all night watching TV from Hulu.com or Netflix.
Just because you’re on a budget doesn’t mean you can’t have tons of fun. When there’s a will, there is a way! Inside or outside, doesn’t matter! It’s summer. It’s time to have fun… the inexpensive way!